AOAC Use-Dilution Test (955.14, 955.15, 955.17, 964.02): Disinfectants
AOAC Use-Dilution test (955.14, 955.15, 955.17, and 964.02) is utilized for determining the efficacy of disinfectants against Trichophyton, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, or Pseudomonas.
The AOAC Use-Dilution test is a disinfectant efficacy test performed with penicylinders, which are referred to as “carriers” in the AOAC method.
The AOAC Use-Dilution test is executed by soaking stainless steel carriers in bacteria, treating them with the disinfectant, and then determining if there are any surviving bacteria after placing the carriers into a growth media. Standard testing uses 60 carriers and can test a disinfectant’s efficacy against different organisms and at different time-points (as requested).
There are currently 3 different methods that can be performed, which are commonly requested based on the required test organism(s); these include:
- AOAC 955.14 tested against Salmonella enterica (Gram-negative bacteria)
- AOAC 955.17 tested against Trichophyton mentagrophytes (fungi)
- AOAC 955.15 tested against Staphylococcus aureus (Gram-positive bacteria
- AOAC 964.02 tested against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Gram-negative bacteria)
Depending on the purpose of testing, (i.e R&D or EPA submission), there are specific performance requirements that determine whether a disinfectant receives a pass/fail, which is dependent on the number of carriers that demonstrate complete disinfection after incubation when the growth of the target organism is recorded.
For example, depending on the specific test organism, the *EPA requires a specific number of carriers that need to demonstrate complete disinfection for each batch tested when submitting an EPA data submission; these include:
- Salmonella; at least 59
- Staphylococcus; at least 57
- Pseudomonas; at least 54
Please inquire with the lab regarding the number of replicates, organisms, and time-points prior to testing.
* It is strongly recommended to confirm regulatory requirements with the appropriate agency prior to testing.
* Situ Biosciences offers consulting services to assist customers in determining specifications to meet regulatory requirements; please inquire with the lab for further information.
GLP or Non-GLP testing can be performed (as requested by the customer).
For more information on test methods, please contact the lab at 847-483-9950 or email@example.com.
Get Quote >